skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Breathe
So last week I mentioned that Patrick has been sick. He was still coughing and wheezy this morning so I called the pediatrician and was able to get him in today to see a doctor. The doctor listened to his lungs and did her exam and told me that Patrick has asthma :( I suppose it shouldn't have come as a big surprise because I have it, my brother has it, and my mom has it. The same thing always happened to me when I got colds as a kid (and actually, it still does). Patrick now has an inhaler, and an aero chamber and a nifty duck mask to cover his nose and mouth so he actually breathes the medicine in. Patrick couldn't be more pleased with his new duck mask and medicine. This coming from the kid we have to sneak cough syrup to mixed in with Sprite. The good news is that he isn't contagious.But I have a rant. We have good medical insurance, probably even great medical insurance. It's a PPO so we have deductibles and co pays but we also have the freedom to self refer and all that jazz. Despite having great insurance, I shelled out $88 today for the copay for the doctor, the aero chamber and mask (devices not covered), and a $30 copay for the inhaler. Seriously? And I know we're fortunate.And the icing on the cake, I just realized that both kids have checkups on Wednesday, so we had plans to be at the doctor in 2 days and my brain is apparently just that mushy I forgot. I'll have the pleasure of shelling out $40 more in co pays. Sigh.
3 comments:
I'm sorry Patrick has asthma - but I'm glad you know now, and can address it - hugs to you both!
Shan=Hang in there. The good news is that your family has access to great medical care. You're always gone to pay more if you are a member of a PPO. Heck, there is always Kaiser. The Light The Night walk seems like a very noble excerise.
Shan-Of course some day when Patrick and Molly are parents they may have to use HillaryCare...sorry to be politcal here. I am sure the children are in great hands as far as health care. That security is priceless.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment