Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Every Breath You Take

My little guy is still having a tough time breathing. We were back in the pediatrician's office today for check-ups, but it turned into a 2 hour visit with oxygen saturation measurements and a breathing treatment by nebulizer. We came home with our very own nebulizer for breathing treatments for the next 2 days and then it's back to the doctor on Friday to check in. At least Patrick is pretty good about taking the treatments, I was never good at doing them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Today our little Miss Molly is 6 months old. It's bittersweet (like so much of motherhood). I thought the time flew by when Patrick was a baby but now I know what it really feels like to fly through the months. Molly continues to be a sweet and dreamy baby. She absolutely adores her big brother, and he will do anything for a laugh from her including dancing like a monkey. Molly is a pro at rolling (but only from back to tummy), is starting to sit unassisted, and is thisclose to getting some teeth (note to self: take more gummy grin pictures before they are gone). We tried rice cereal this week, and while Molly was thrilled at the spoon the idea of it but the cereal made her completely gag and her first reaction is to spit it out. We got the same reaction on another try with butternut squash, I guess I'll just keep trying. She's still measuring in at the upper end of the charts, today she weighed 16 pounds, 14 ounces (75th percentile), measured 26 3/4 inches long (90th percentile) and those Murphy genes must have kicked in because her head has jumped up to the 90th percentile (44 cm).

Patrick weighed in at 33 pounds (fully clothed) and 38 inches. No clue what the percentiles are on that. He had his first vision test today, instead of letters they used symbols. There was a heart, a star, a circle and other easily recognized shapes. There was also a + sign, and I wasn't sure if he knew what it was called. When the nurse asked him what it was he said "A band aid!" and he repeated it again with the other eye. We both kind of laughed and I wondered where he got that from. One of the doctors was near the nurse's station when this happened and she overheard the exchange. She laughed about it but then realized that there is a red cross on boxes of band aids, and he was associating the cross with the band aids. Isn't that strange and cool? Almost every day I am amazed at how his little mind is working overtime and soaking everything up.

Oh, and I spent another $120 on copays today. That brings our total out of pocket costs this week to $208. And we still have another appointment on Friday. I need a rolling eyes smiley.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel soooo bad. Patrick looks so sad,. Will he always need that elephant mask, i work in a ER and if you need new ones, we have the same elephant ones and ill send it to you. Or does he only need it for a few days.

Shannon said...

Jamie, we now have a fish mask and a duck mask, the doctors said to keep them because he will more likely than not need them in the future. He still sounds wheezy this afternoon despite having had 2 treatments already today. Ugh :(

Anonymous said...

Awww I feel soooo bad.

Jan Russell said...

Hmm...I just tried to comment, and I think the post got eaten? Odd. I'll try again...

What a pitiful little picture - poor kid! But he's a total champ to sit through his treatments so nicely. I hope everything looks good at his follow-up appointment today!