Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Apricot Baby

7 or 8 years ago I planted a Blenheim apricot tree in our backyard. It was my own little personal homage to the Santa Clara Valley. For 7 or 8 years I would watch it blossom every spring and be disappointed every summer when no fruit was ever produced. I decided (in my infinite botanical wisdom) that it must have something to do with cross pollination or bee colony collapse disorder and I resigned myself to the fact that the tree would bear no fruit. Very sad. Then last summer, while in the backyard of a neighbor, I noticed a huge apricot tree that was just dripping with fruit. Like there were so many apricots the branches were practically snapping off.

So imagine my surprise this week when I noticed out apricot tree had fruit! Several tiny little green apricots, so perfect and lovely. Now I just need to make sure the squirrels stay in the neighbors tree, and not mine ;)

Photobucket

No comments: